These groups aim to better equip children with the skills required to:
- Understand and consider the thoughts and feelings of themselves and others
- Attend and listen
- Initiate and maintain conversations
- Regulate their behaviour when in a group
- Cooperatively play and learn with others
- Negotiate and compromise
- Relate socially and develop solid foundations of how to make and maintain friends
The group configuration is organised not only on the age/grade of the children but also after careful assessment of their current social cognitive abilities.
Activities can comprise a number of the following:
- Introduction of a new vocabulary around relating socially
- Tasks requiring attention and focus
- Understanding verbal and non-verbal cues
- Social problem solving activities
- Conversation practice
- Snack time
- Understanding of the Zones of Regulation and relating them to ourselves and different contexts
- A variety of games
The session ends with an opportunity for free play while parents receive group feedback, (approximately 20 minutes).
Michelle Garcia Winner of Social Thinking® has created the theoretical framework underpinning these groups, (www.socialthinking.com). The programs include:
- ‘The Incredible Flexible You’,
- ‘We Thinkers’ and
- ‘Social Detective’.
The ‘Zones of Regulation’ is a program by Leah Kuypers and combined with the Social Thinking strategies provides students with a toolbox of amazing strategies to support their emotional regulation and social communication skills.
These programs are a curriculum for early childhood and are designed for 5-8 yr olds. Group timetables change based on interest and availability. Please contact our administration staff if you are interested in joining a program and we will try and accomodate you in a suitable group.
Download the Registration form
For queries, please phone Linda and Fiona on 03 9973 1632